Hudson's birth story

Well here goes nothing... I decided to type this up not only for others to read, but also so I wouldn't forget.

On Wednesday Sept. 8 at 2:30 am I woke up with some sort of contractions. I didn't think anything about it, didn't even time them and fell right back asleep, at 3:30 I woke up again with the same thing, but stronger and decided if they were strong enough to wake me up then I probably should pay some sort of attention to them. I woke Bryan up and we started timing them, they were about 12 min apart at this point. We laid in bed until it was time for Bryan to go to work at 7 and at this point they were about 10 min apart but we had gone to the hospital so many times for other things we wanted to wait until we knew something for sure was going on to call or drive all the way to fayetteville. I was supposed to go to my parents house to wait for a package for my dad at 8, so I packed up my stuff (thankfully my bags were already loaded in the car because of our previous trips where the dr told us to pretty much be prepared whenever due to my BP) to get ready over there and took a shower. By the time I got to my parents house they were about 8 min apart and my dad decided to stay home with me in case I needed to go to the hospital. I finally called the drs office at about 9 and they said they wanted me to come see my doctor. So Bryan came to get me and off to fayetteville we went. The whole way Bryan was so sure we weren't going to have a baby, another false alarm... he said because I wasn't sweating and in really serious pain there was no way I was in labor. So we get to the doctors office, we wait like 30 min to get in, which convinced Bryan even more that they weren't that concerned about us... and then they took me for weight and urine sample like every other time... I literally walked back into the patient room where Bryan was waiting on me and my water broke. What good timing I have... So my dr came in and said "you're having a baby today!" and it made me like the happiest person ever to have my baby and finally not be pregnant anymore. haha. My water had broken and they couldn't get my contractions on the monitor because they were low and mainly in my back... but at this point I was dilated to a 2 and 70% effaced. They sent us upstairs to get admitted  to labor and delivery and we called our families to tell them the good news.

Once I got admitted and hooked up to 97 monitors the waiting game began.Well that was all good and dandy until Hudson decided to roll over on his cord and have a deceleration in his heart rate. I'm pretty sure every nurse on the floor came running, along with my doctor, thankfully my nurse was in the room when it happened and they flipped me to my side and it went right back up. So at this point its still just me and Bryan and I told Bryan to text my mom and tell her to get there as soon as she could because I was so freaked out. My mom, Janet and Jordan all got there and then my dad came and I got my epidural at about 3:30, I was dilated to a 3 and it was the best thing I ever did. I laid there and watched my contractions on the screen while I felt NOTHING. I had already decided that after seeing labors in nursing school and after feeling the contractions that I had felt earlier that there was no questions about getting an epidural... and we waited and waited some more... baby had two more decels during the night and it happened every time I would flip to my left side, by 8 I was still only dilated to a 6 and so ready to have my baby. My dr said if he decelerated again then they may have to do a c-section, so I laid on that right side for literally 10 hours and even during labor... At midnight I started to feel my contractions and was in serious pain... even with the epidural, which made me even more glad that I got it. I finally dilated to a 10 at like 2 am and they let me start pushing... Hudson has another deceleration while I was pushing, which I guess is normal, and after an hour of pushing (which is so much better than laying there doing nothing) my sweet baby Hudson was born at 3:21 am on Sept 9th, 2010. He weighed 6 lbs 3 oz and was 19 1/4 inches long. The sweetest thing was that right after he was born he was SCREAMING and Bryan went over and held his little hands and started talking to him and he quieted down immediately, he recognized daddy's voice. Holding my baby boy for the first time was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I was already so in love with this little man that I had just met... but that had been part of me for nine months. Such an incredible experience.

I was a little concerned because Hudson was born at 36 w 6 d so three weeks early, but he actually measured 38 weeks according to the nursery nurse and was perfectly healthy, Praise Jesus! We got to go home on Friday and thats when the real adventure began... having a newborn is the most challenging thing I have ever done, but also the most rewarding. I absolutely love being a wife and a mommy and I love that when Hudson cries and that even after everyone else tries to console him, sometimes he just wants his mama. But I miss my sleep and I miss my "me time" but Bryan has been home with me for two weeks and it has been wonderful... and my sweet baby makes it so worth it.We still just sit and stare at him and can't believe that he is so perfect and that we (with God's help) created him.

Stay tuned for updates on our life with a newborn, the sweetest gift and blessing God has ever blessed us with. And thank goodness I am not pregnant anymore!


  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! He's perfect!! Soak this all in, it's the most amazing time ever. I am so happy for you guys!

  2. I'm here from Jenna's. My daughter was born on September 10! They are so fun aren't they :) Your little boy is adorable!


Post a Comment

Popular Posts